Sunday, October 18, 2009

Meet Carter

Carter is one of the 101 chihuahua's rescued by the Dearborn Animal Shelter. He's 4 years old and weights 10 lbs. I'm fostering him for a while to try to socialize him and make him adoptable.

He's very timid and does nothing all day but lay in his crate. I tried putting him in an X-pen, but he paniced and went wild and jumped out! So he'll be in the crate for a while. I've taken him out a few times to hold him and he shivers like crazy. He eventually calms down, but as soon as I move or get up, he panics.

Carter seems to like Wilma and Kramer around his crate (and Wilma is always laying outside the crate because there is food inside!) But when I open the crate thinking he'll come out to see the dogs, Carter just panics and hides his head.

It's very sad that this beautiful young dog knows nothing more than to lay and sleep and is terrified of everything. It'll take a while, but I'm determined to turn him into a social little guy who can be adopted into a loving home.

No comments: