Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Turning in Macy

On Sunday, Jen and I brought Macy to the Leader Dog school in Rochester Michigan where she will begin the next phase of her journey to become a guide dog.

We drove to Rochester and took Macy out to lunch for the last time. I think she knew something was up because we weren't at our usual Big Boy restaurant!

At the Leader Dog school, we handed the leash over to the Leader Dog person and watched as she walked Macy for a while. This was Macy's first test....and she passed with "GREATS" in all 7 categories!
Next, we were told to take as much time with her as we wanted, so we walked her outside and took some last pictures with our little girl.
When we brought her back into the school, we got to bring her into her kennel. Then we said our teary eyed good-byes and walked away.
I really liked that Leader Dogs gives the raisers a choice of putting the puppy into the kennel. It helps the puppy know that it's OK because Mom put me in here. After we dried our eyes, I looked back in the window of the kennel area and Macy was standing in the kennel staring at the door where we left, I'm sure waiting for us to come back. That is the hardest part. But I'm sure she did just fine and is doing well.

No comments: