Friday, March 21, 2008

Wilma's Health and Puppies Learning to Eat

Wilma has had a bad few days. It all started on Wednesday. After throwing up several times in the morning, she spent 3 hours at the vet. I was in Grand Rapids for work and Marilyn came over to check on her and the pups. She walked into a mess and a lifeless Wilma. She tried to get ahold of me and then called my vet. She made an appt and I finally got her message. Since I was 2 hours from home, she took Wilma in and I met them at the vet. Exams and blood work showed Wilma has mastitis, anemia and hypoglycemia. My poor baby! She was given fluids and shots at the vet and has 4 medications to take at home. And no nursing. So……

…I had to switch into puppy gruel mode instantly. I ground up dog food in a blender and soaked it in water and puppy formula. I was very relieved when the puppies actually caught on right away! But what a mess. The stepped in it, walked through it, laid in it, and had more ON them than IN them. But they must have gotten enough because they all went right to sleep after their clean up.







I’ve been experimenting with different ways to feed them. I tried a small bowl with 5 pups at a time, then 2 bowls with all 10 pups, then 2 pups at a time on the kitchen counter (easier on the back), but the last few times I just put them all around the big puppy feeder bowl. Some do better by sucking it out of my hand and some like to lap it off the floor. But most eat it out of the pan with their paws right in the middle of it.









Wilma was doing much better on Thursday, so Clare and my vet thought it would be OK if she nursed the pups for one meal, keeping them off the infected gland. So I did 5 pups at a time for 15 minutes. Afterwards, Wilma was exhausted and lifeless again. And Friday morning she threw up again, so I decided no more nursing for her. Then later in the morning, her mastitis broke open. It was a huge open wound and it looked awful! I took her into the vet and he cleaned it out. He said that’s exactly what was supposed to happen and it should help Wilma feel better. I have to wash it out twice a day and sprinkle some powdered medication on it. Wilma does seem to feel better. She’s eating again and keeping it down. The pups are eating good and they all gained weight both yesterday and today. So I think all will turn out OK.

2 comments:

Aussie said...

Sorry you're feeling bad Wilma. breastfeeding can be tough on a girl. You've done a great job with your babies so far. You'll be feeling better in no time!

pdolowy said...

Laura,
Kudos to you also...you are doing a great job and have had more than your fair share of problems.