Saturday, April 19, 2008

Off to Grand Rapids

Today was the pups first big adventure, the trip to Paws HQ in Grand Rapids. I had readied the car the night before by lining the back with a tarp, rugs, blankets, and towels. So all that was left to do was load the pups, two by two, into the car. Wilma said good-bye and I closed the hatchback, which was difficult with 10 little heads all trying to stick out. But I managed and off we went.

The first ten minutes of the trip were very loud. I think it was only a few pups putting up a fuss, but it sounded like 25! After that, we had pure silence for over 30 minutes. Unfortunately, I had to make a stop because of too much coffee, and of course the pups woke up. The rest of the trip was sprinkled with howling and whining, in between the silent times. And the pups would pop their heads up every once in a while. I wonder what the passing cars thought of that!














Finally we made it. With the help of three others, we got the pups into two kennels, split 5 and 5. They checked out their new home, christened it by pottying and when Miss Pink hosted the first drinking bowl Pool Party, I knew they'd be OK. Except for Sparty. He wouldn't stop whining, which surprised me, since he had always been so quiet at home. So I picked him up and snuggled him until he fell asleep in my arms. When I put him back, the others were sleeping and he slipped out of my arms and snuggled his way into the pile of puppies.

I was at Paws for the next 5 hours attending a Breeding Host Family seminar. I kept checking in on them and they were sleeping most of the time. After the seminar I went in and snuggled each one for the last time. When I got home, I made myself a margaritta to celebrate their new phase of life, just like I did the celebrate the day they came into this world.

4 comments:

Marilynn & Sherri said...

Great job Laura. I have really enjoyed reading the updates on the puppies and seeing them grow. You did such a good job on reflecting their personalities by their photos and your commentary. It felt as if I have been there the whole time. I'm sure they will be exceptional Paws dogs because of your love and affections. Sherri

Marilynn & Sherri said...

I'm so sad they are gone. I'm glad I said goodbye to the pups before my trip to Florida. I will miss visiting the pups but I'm sure they will enjoy their new adventure. Laura, you were a great match for these puppies. They will grow up more well rounded because of your part in their beginnings.

Aussie said...

Thanks to you for sharing your journey. It means a lot to puppy raisers to see our babies from the start. It will mean even more to a client in 2 years. When you get that grown up dog you would never believe they were ever so small.
Smooches to Wilma on a job well done. Enjoy the peace & quiet.

jac said...

What a saga, Laura. I love the way you've written their stories with so much insight and humor...You're a great grandma!!
Love, jacque